Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mom's Miss


On Thursday night, Mom, Dad and I dressed-up in orange costumes and went for a walk above the fish hatchery. I thought we were going back to the pumpkin patch, but Dad said we were going deer hunting. Hmm....that's why I have to wear these ear muffs. I love hunting - I babble the entire time! Dad told me I was being too loud to see any deer, but what does he know - he never gets any!


Dad and I took the best route (I picked it) and Mom took the upper trail. When she got there, she spotted ears in the bushes. She readied her gun, took the safety off, and aimed up the hill. When the buck stepped out, she shot. Dad was so excited that we practically ran up to see Mom. I thought I was being carried (in my backpack) by a horse! Wheee!!!!


When we got to Mom, I was glad that Dad was carrying me, because her legs were shaking so badly she looked like she might collapse! She was so excited.


Mom pointed Dad to the spot the deer had been standing so we could look for his trail. Since Mom had already gotten to shoot, I thought we were done hunting and I told Dad I was ready to go. He doesn't listen very well so I told him again, louder. Since that didn't work, I decided that telling him constantly was my only option. Mom was shouting us directions, but Dad couldn't hear them over me talking and didn't understand her hand signals. He walked back to Mom and saw what she was pointing at. All my crying had attracted the attention of a doe deer that stood only 40 yards away. See Dad - my talking doesn't scare the deer - it attracts them! Dad decided we should leave the doe deer - one deer was enough for the night!


I finally got my way and we walked back to the house. Later, after I feel asleep, Mom and Dad called Eric to babysit and they went back to look for the deer, but didn't find anything in the dark. Dad called two friends and they looked for another 2 hours, but couldn't find the blood trail - only a small tuft of hair where Mom had shot.


Dad must not give up easily, because he looked again for an hour before work in the dark and then we all went back in the afternoon. Finally, Dad said, "I think you grazed him - he'll be just fine, only wiser for the experience." Mom was heartbroken - it was the first deer she tried to shoot and she missed.......sorry Mom.......


I told Mom not to feel too bad, Grandpa told me Dad missed 11 times with a single-shot shotgun the first year he deer hunted, but don't tell Dad I told you!

No comments:

Post a Comment