Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Missed!

Dad's Barbary Sheep Adventure....
I spent a few days hunkered in a tent west of Rowswell Wow! I don't think I've ever camped in winds like those. The weather report said 50 mph gusts. That laid the tent roof right down on my face the first night! Incredible. Fortunately, the wind subsided somewhat over the next couple of days to gale force instead of hurricane-style! I lost my rain fly on night two, but was able to weasel out of my mummy bag in time to save it from a trip to Kansas. That was no small feat because I had the mummy bag cinched up to only my nose sticking out!
I ran into a band of 7 Barbary sheep rams the day before the hunting season opened. Of course, I bumped them out of the canyon and spent the next day and 20 miles trying to turn them back up. For good measure, I also got 3 hours of hunkering under a tarp waiting out a sleet/snow storm - fun stuff! I finally found them 2 hours before dark only 1/2 a mile from where I first spotted them. Of course!
Anyhow, I got some pictures at 400 yards through the spotting scope, but I didn't want to risk a shot in the 30 mph cross winds. So, when they ducked into a steep canyon, I scrambled cross canyon and got just above them. By that time, light was really fading and something had to happen fast! I sidehilled around trying to get eyes on them again, but couldn't turn anything up. Then, some rocks tumbled, and I saw the 7 of them bolting for the next universe. Fortunately, they stopped at the bottom to look back.
I had time to sit down and get a rest on my knee and picked out the leader that had separated from the bunch. This all happened in about 3 seconds. The cross hairs settled and...
KABOOM!
Sheep went flying everywhere, and disappeared around the corner. I grabbed my binoculars and caught a glimpse of 6 rams headed for the next time zone. Woohoo!! Only 6 leaving, must mean good things! I grabbed my range finder and got 99 yards to where they were standing - a lay-up for a rifle shot! Sweet!
By now, it was pitch black, but I was confident I had my first Barbary sheep. I searched the mountainside in vain for 3 hours without even finding a speck of blood......huh?? Not discouraged, I pitched my tent and reviewed my spotting scope pics. Yes, there were 7, and now I only counted 6.....I think. At this point, I realized that I had sat in a cactus and now had fine spines in my gloves, hands, and my nose - must have had an itch smile emoticon
The next morning was clear and windy. I climbed up on the opposite side and glassed the entire hill where my sheep should be.....nothing.... Back to the shot site to look for blood. On my hands and knees for an hour.......nothing. Figured the rifle must be off. Grabbed my Mountain House breakfast and set it at 99 yards. Didn't find a cactus to sit on, but I went as fast as I could from standing to off my knee. Yep, exploded the Mountain house. Guess it wasn't the rifle.
Missed....................
Guess it happens - now you'll know why I have a Mtn House package hanging on my trophy wall 









smile emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment